From the Garden

From the GardenRemember my post in June about planting a few vegetables in the garden this year?

Well, It’s been just over a month since I planted the tiny seeds and already I’ve been rewarded with fresh radishes and lettuce!

Patio Garden

It’s very easy to grow vegetables… even in the rain!

carrots under plastic

It’ll be awhile before the carrots are ready to pull.

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Summer Salads from your own back yard are the best! Enjoy!

July 7, 2011 at 10:01 pm

• We are!! I’m going to plant more radishes this weekend.

Hey – you could have your own patio garden… on your balcony. It’s perfect!

July 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

• Jan

I am planning to grow some lettuce, radishes and carrots as well! Yummy!

July 7, 2011 at 11:53 pm

• Right on Jan!!! It’s great to have fresh veggies from your own garden, and it’s so easy too!

July 8, 2011 at 7:29 am

• I did see a cute herb planter at a nursery near my place…do you think it’s too late now???

July 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

• No, it’s not too late. Depending on what they are, most herbs are perennial. In winter, if you move the planter by your front door, tucked in close to the house they will survive a cold winter . I have oregano and chives in one pot on the patio and I just move the pot next to the house and they always come back!

As for other veggies, radishes grown quickly; I planted more today as a matter of fact! 🙂 I really like the French breakfast radishes… they take about 20 – 25 days from seed to harvest.

What I like about growing them in the planter boxes is there are no bugs, slugs or worms… and it’s organic! I’m using seasoil mixed with peatmoss and some sand to keep the soil loose.

You can wait until Mid August if you want to try growing radishes, they are a cool weather crop… or just start with the herbs!! Its nice having fresh herbs for a salad or special sauce or marinade….Let me know what you decide to do!

Hugs Lesa 🙂

July 9, 2011 at 10:28 pm

2. I never did get around to getting the little herb garden…Your garden must really be flourishing by now!

August 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm

• LOL – I was just thinking about you and baby carrots!! I think they are ready to be pulled along with my second batch of french radishes 🙂 I’ll post a photo of them… and I’ll leave a bit of dirt on them 😉

August 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm